Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Two Week Wait by Sarah Rayner (Available 12/24)

The Two Week Wait by Sarah Rayner, pub. Dec. 24, 2012, 432 pg.
Rating: 4/5 stars

A memorable and moving page-turner about two very different women, each yearning to create a family of her own

What if the thing you most longed for was resting on a two week wait? From the author of the international bestselling One Moment, One Morning, comes a moving portrait about what it truly means to be a family. After a health scare, Brighton-based Lou is forced to confront the fact that her time to have a baby is running out. She can't imagine a future without children, but her partner doesn't seem to feel the same way, and she's not sure whether she could go it alone. Meanwhile, in Yorkshire, Cath is longing to start a family with her husband, Rich. No one would be happier to have children than Rich, but Cath is infertile. Could these strangers help one another? With her deft exploration of raw emotions and her celebration of the joy and resilience of friendship, The Two Week Wait is Sarah Rayner at her best. --From cover


I was lucky enough to win an advance copy of this charming book from Goodreads.Honestly, I don't think I read the description when I entered the giveaway. I just thought the cover looked cute (I wholeheartedly believe that you can judge a book by its cover -- what else is the cover for?!).

This isn't the type of book I normally reach for. I tend to prefer books with action and love stories and humor. The Two Week Wait was more serious and dealt with a pretty tough subject - not being able to have children - which made it pretty different from my normal reads.

But I found I really enjoyed the change of pace. This book was touching and charming and uplifting, and I finished reading it with a smile on my face. More than once it made me cry. You really empathize with Cath and Lou and the struggles they go through to each form a family of their own.

The Two Week Wait is a book about family and love and hope. It deals with more than just the struggle to have a child - depression, serious illness, and family dysfunction are also prominent themes. Even though I've never been in the same situation as either of the main characters, I was still able to easily find ways to relate to them.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good, uplifting story. It's a great rainy day book or a good alternative after reading something dark and gloomy.

Do you have any favorite books that just make you happy to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment